What I missed about Python (and how JS taught me to love Python even more)¶
by Audrey Roy
Spent the talk taking pictures. Waiting for some notes taken by others that I’ll be including here.
PyLadies, OpenComparison, PyCon Phillipines
Several weeks of intense JSing
“JS is a terribly misunderstood language”
- python is better js is invevitable
Is JS good parts is good enough to just work with it?
- Is it worth it?
- use ajax more? use full blown python soa and backbone.js? integrate js relatime features?
- JS spectrum:
- avoid at all cost <—> Happiliy use 100% JS
- Python is elegant!
- good parts included (in js not so readily)
- JS ecosystem is thriving
- works where python ecosys does not very ambitious
- Funcions in python
- intedentation begets clarity of scope docstrings, named parameters minimizing anonymous funs
- Funcitions in JS
- the infamous ‘var’ anonymous function… not no default params worse documentation tools
- JS is more functional, and thus better. Right?
- closures as solution for scope leakage closures as classes closures as modules
(Audrey had an error on her slide, as if to emphasise cumbersomnes of JS closure hacks).
- Functional programing in python
- iterators, generators list comprh. batteries included (itertools, functools, operator)
Lambdas – anonymous funcs are by design constrained.
You can nest functions in python has much more sense.
- What python cant do?
- close over a non-global var in outer scope (python 3)
- Python classes are elegant!
- scope is obvious class is namespace docstring
- Klass in JS:
- at least two different hacks not one obvious way prototypal inheritance is complex different is not always better reallity: prototypal is annoying
- long history in python simple, defined by files
- Modules in JS:
- just a script tag not part of the language, some libraries provide shim
- no one true way in python, confusing
- Packaging JS:
- many alternatives: npm, ender, jam, bower not build into the lang
- Code reuse
- two obvious necessities importing libraries organizing code int o dierctories
- Design patterns
classes provided by language decorators iterators and gens modules
pthon minimizes boilerplate js brings DP with libraries, many times
- Standard library
- python has great stdlib, with some parts dated; opinionated js has none; jQuery, Node, no strong leadership
- Stdlib - datetime
- js date.js died, although it was touted as best python datetime has limitations, but it’s there some good js libs exist, but lack recognition
JS and polyfills¶
hack away what is not defined
JS beats Python (reality wins)¶
js working in browser cross platform mobile dev tools huge innovation
Python has good parts emphasised but has catching up to do
You should try diving deep into JS.