I didn’t know it’s Python: Python Advocacy¶
- by Allan Palo Barazone
- Python since 2007, but since early 2000s
- Affiliated of Wikimedia Philippines, Inc
- Good advocacy talk
How you attract tourists¶
- …use paid television ads?
- …use print ads?
- …use social media?
- …and still be consistent
Mount a campaign!¶
- Slogan: It’s more fun in the Philippines!
- Logo and slogan alone do not make a good campaign
People need to know:¶
- What’s in it for me?
The usual ‘advocacy’ stuff.
Very, very gentle learning curve
- Even complete newbies can understand
Easily done with Python
- Low-level modules in another language (like C or C++)
- Then Python joins ‘em all together
Python’s simplicity allows easy rewrites of prototypes
- competitive edge over C/C++/Java
Faster learning curve
- Easier to pick up than ‘traditional’ Filipino CS 101 languages
- Focus on thinking, not synxtax
More readable than other languages
- Probably influenced by GvR’s math background
- Similar to pseudo code
- Hard to obfuscate
Works with JAVA and .Net!!!¶
Reality: IT industry in PH is Java/.Net centric
- We’ve already invested in Java/.Net technologies - will we have to rewrite the stuff?