May 23, 2012 LA Hack Night¶
- Location: http://spire.io HQ
- Meetup: http://www.meetup.com/Los-Angeles-Hack-Night/events/60609452/
I like the spire.io guys but I’m going to do my best to pierce the marketing hype tonight and see what they are really doing.
Presentation was given on a monitor. Should have been done off of a projector.
What is Serverless?¶
You can just write HTML and CSS and they do the rest.
- They handle users.
- They handle authentication and authorization.
- They handle messaging.
- They handle load balancing and scaling.
- You don’t have to worry about choosing databases.
Secure (security is not an afterthought)
- Can handle HN and Tech Crunch swamping.
- 10K requests per second, which will dwarf anything HN or Tech Crunch can do.
- Currently they manually spin up servers. They are working on automation.
- Create and authenticate users
- Send messages to thousands of clients in real-time
Data (coming soon)
Spire.io is Secure¶
- Capability security (priniciple of least priviledge)
- All traffic in HTTPS
- No need to put password or secret in your client side code
Spire.io is Scalable¶
Built with Node.js, Redis, and JRuby
- Node.js for dispatch handling
- Redis for speed
- JRuby for spinning off of tasks
Simple app demo¶
Spire.io uses CORS¶
- Like JSONP but better
- See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-origin_resource_sharing